Thursday, September 25, 2008

Day 2 - Thursday (continued)

We rolled into Gallup, NM tonight around 5:30pm local time. I was able to find an iPod Touch in Albuquerque, so I've been watching Survivor and playing with the new toy all evening.

All of the technology seems to be working quite well.

I've got a small issue with my brights and windshield-washing-fluid switches in the van. Until the brights switch is cycled about 10-20 times each morning, the van will randomly alternate betwen turning the brights on/off, or spraying the windsheild with fluid. I'm pretty sure it's not a matter of me pulling wrong or fat-fingering it. At this point, it's just an annoyance, and I'll probably wait until I get home to tear into it.

The APRS positioning has been tracking all through New Mexico, and into Kansas. I don't think it's transmitting quite a frequently as I thought I'd configured it, but it's adequate and is getting iGated on a regular basis.

The Alltel wireless Internet card was working fair in the van traveling down the Interstate I-40. It disconnected 2 or 3 times while trying to write the first part of Day 2 blog entry, but it got the job done.

And the iPod is pretty cool. I'm still in the process of getting all my music and photos sync'ed up with the laptop, but it's attaching to the hotel's Internet just fine. It's user interface is very intuitive, and I feel like I'm already 90% up the curve on using it. It looks like it's going to hook up just fine to my work's VPN connection out of the box, without any extra add-ins!


The good news and bad news: Crys is very impressed with the iPod and is thinking of putting one on her Christmas list. And the bad, I've been monitoring the ham radio 146.52 simplex calling frequency for almost 12 hours through four states, and haven't heard a single voice.

3 comments:

Ken Frey said...

Glad the touch is working out. About the bad news, maybe it's just because you are just west of the edge of the earth right now where there is NO population?

abcsnana said...

So are you just driving to get to your destination or are you stopping and seeing what you're passing by?

Any more pics?
What does A think?

One of the towns you went thru is where my mom (Rose) had 2 major back surgeries when she was 12 and 15.

Zack said...

Thursday was basically a travel day, but we stopped in Tucumcari for a long lunch (about 1.5 hours) and again in Albuquerque for an hour to shop.

Friday was spent mostly seeing.